Friday, December 1, 2017

The Journey Home – A Cherished Struggle.

Sipra Pati

There's a part of me that struggles with a part of me. Nothing could be more clichéd than that. I do not believe in God. At least in the version 'God' as manifested in the human domain. I consider the adulation of Krishna who unabashedly consorted with multiple women several shades ridiculous. I find the worship of Shiva and his genitalia a tad too repulsive. I believe these multiple Gods and Goddesses who inundate our religion are the outcome(s) of very fertile imagination - human imagination. Although I am tempted to probe and analyse the overwhelming patriarchal overtures here, I realize I will, as a consequence, digress from the intent I began with. 

So coming back to me being a non-believer. As long as I can remember I have always asked my Mom or Grandma or Aunt or Uncle or some older family member about the whys and wherefores of why 'should' we 'do' things a certain way. The abstinence from a non-vegetarian diet, for instance, or the absolute ‘no-no’ of trimming nails or hair on certain days, on why I should wear bangles on both hands, or not... I could go on. Reactions to these questions have been varied - a casual dismissal, a story (always a favorite), a scolding, a look of irritation, and more often than not, an answer which usually was "that's the way things are" or some variation of it. 

However, this scepticism, never deterred me from partaking in Pujas and festivals - they were too much fun. Not all of them. But most of them. I simply loved cutting paper to decorate for Ganesh or Saraswati Puja, watching my Mom and aunts create a Savitri idol from haldi paste and listening to them read her heart-wrenching love story, dress up on Dussehra, worship the moon on Kumarpurnima... I loved the family gathering, the preparation of festival-specific food, and just reveling in the general camaraderie. 

I was not (still am not) a big fan of temples - I found the present-day institutions too sterile and wanting in sanctity. The medieval temples, however, were another story. I loved visiting them. Not because I felt devout. These medieval feats of architecture created an overwhelming sense of awe in me and I always found myself standing in the middle of the courtyard, neck craned towards the top of the monument, till someone tugged on my hand or shouted my name from a distance. The Jaganath temple in Puri was one such temple. Tumultuous as my feelings towards the concept of a human-created God were, this temple never failed to stir my aesthetic leanings. I was always in awe - of the sheer magnitude of the physical structure, the expanse of its campus and other structures, the devotees - their belief in Sanatan Dharma and their complete surrender, the unique sense of belonging of and to  this black-skinned half-limbed God, the chaos, and even the protocol of a visit to the temple. That one half of my family were from Puri, of course, had a lot to do with this. 

My visit to the Jaganath temple in the early part of November this year came after a nine-year long hiatus. And it was a gap that nagged me. I was expecting to see a new Jaganath and siblings. And, that was about all that had changed. Well, almost. Structural modifications to control crowds and their surges were evident in the parallel steel structures on the north side of the temple. More importantly, and disconcertingly, our usual walk-through the temple beda had changed. After the climb-up the baaesi pahancha, we headed, uncharacteristically, straight to the main temple. Given the time of the day (late afternoon), tourists/ pilgrims outnumbered the locals and there appeared to be more unconcealed attempts by the temple servers to fleece money off the devout. Neither these changes nor my aforementioned status of belief deterred me - for I held my palms over the flames of a large dipa and touched the top of my head with them; I moved my neck back and forth and stood on my toes - all to get a better view of the Lord of Puri, the Universe, and his siblings. As I kneeled and put my forehead to the ground, tears flowed, unbid. I wiped my eyes as I stood up and looked at the murals as I had always done in the past, the sting in my eyes refused to stop. I could almost hear my grandmother, my Aai, ask me, "So which mural are you looking at today?" I shut my eyes savoring her memory; a simultaneous effort refusing to let the sting in my eyes condense to liquid. I did a 360-degree turn with my eyes on the murals (like I had always done in the past, looking, not seeing) and navigated through the throng to the south exit. Then we began our ritualistic walk-through - Satyanarayan, then Bata Ganesha, then Maa Mangala, then the customary couple-minute hang around the mukti mandap, followed by stops at Goddesses Bimala, Lakhsmi, Saraswati and Savitri, Sakhigopal, and then Surjya. And the exit through Anand Bazaar down those twenty-two. 

The emotions this very fertile figment of human imagination could stir within me defied rationale. I know, in retrospect, this here was the very epitome of my connection to my roots, non-believer, or not. I know a part of me will always struggle with a part of me. I owe this struggle to the Lord of Puri. No regrets.


8 comments:

  1. Very moving.. the part where you let your emotions flow inside the temple while offering your kneeled obeisances especially. The connection with your mom, your grandmother and your mom's side of the family is definitely tugging at your heartstrings throughout this write-up and very poignant. Gods are Gods, what you bring to the table is tremendous empathy for your family and friends.... Lord Jagannath is very woven into the fabric of our native land and everyone has a special story or connection and yours comes out beautifully and aesthetically. This was a very powerful read and touched some similar chords in me too.. Thank you very much Sipra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title that you have chosen has far deeper meaning...than what anyone knowing your recent trip to India would imagine. 'Cherished' gets answered in the last two words of your soul rendering recount and 'home' has connotation with the 'place' where both of your struggling parts would find Solace.
    Right from the childhood memories of your nagging questions to the best ever description of The Temple surroundings I could relate and almost experience your journey as flashbacks of my own growing up in Orissa kept coming alive. Reminiscing the laps and loving hands of Aayi, Mom, Aunts and Uncles that you grew up with one just can't help but see that howsoever independent in thought and attitude we may grow, we remain a part of a bigger whole.
    The topic occupies a huge part of what I generally muse upon it's difficult for me to stop here. So I will probably return with more on this.

    The write-up is simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rajesh for your thoughts. I (and we all) look forward to your musings, but as a separate post. Hopefully, soon.

      Delete
  3. Well written, Sip.

    Firstly, you were never the non-believer that you thought yourself to be, although it might have seemed scientifically appropriate. This could be because of the influence your Aai had over you. For all your childhood questions on the subject, she must have been the story-teller and go-to person with an explanation that would be convincing and unreasonable at the same time.

    What made this visit special lies in the word 'uncharacteristically', used in the last but one para. What caused the deviation in routine? Perhaps the absence of your Aai, who would have insisted on the usual route. What caused the tears to flow? Who asked about which mural to look at? Her presence, no doubt.

    So, there she was with you in front of the Lord of Puri and you can blame him for arranging the little get-together at his den.

    Jai Jagannath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sid. I wish it were as simple as you put it that I never was a non-believer. The utter freedom that Jaganath (and by extension my family) offers probably made it easier for me to question dogmas and blind beliefs (as our dear Janda Sir often called them). My struggle (pardon my lack of articulation) was, and is, between the rational side of me and the side of me that acknowledges there is a something beyond the physics of it all. I believe this 'something' has manifested (over several hundred years) in the shape of a flute-wielding or elephant-headed God, and our very own Kaalia. I do not believe there is a Krishna (per se; and sorry, Mrigank) - that is one part of me. And a part of me feels Jaganath is perhaps the 'something' that I do acknowledge.
      So far 'uncharacteristically' is concerned, this is the first time I entered the main temple from its north entrance. There is a distinct entry and exit into the main temple now. The usual was visiting Jaganath after visiting Maa Mangala.

      Delete
    2. Sipra, as you know me fairly well by now, I believe in you and always will, and your write-up was very logical and consistent and made for superb reading!! :) - so no, I take absolutely have no issues as to your remark about Krishna...it is a widespread view actually. I will try to be brief here because I think length here could be a detriment. I will make a couple of observations and at a later time if there is interest I will say more. Lord Krishna is an enigma. It is widely acknowledged by the people in the Jagannath temple that the presiding deity of that temple and Krishna himself are one and the same. Normal people don't have simultaneous forms at once.. but then that's why not everyone is God.. as we can see in modern society how quickly Gods are debunked once their real natures get captured on camera or voice recordings. Krishna's pastimes have some degree of moral ambiguity if He is measured with the eyes of ordinary men.. at a different time we can get into how even highly intelligent men during that time got confused as to who He was, and therefore paid a heavy heavy price, including the entire obliteration of royal families and complete loss of grandiose empires with a matter of a couple of weeks; all because of the erroneous assumption that Krishna was just like any other mortal human. More some other time!!!

      Delete
  4. Dear Sipra, it's wonderful and always a treat to read your articles and poems. I didn't know that you have a blog of your own. Great. Keep writing. This article kind of validates my experience and epiphany I have had in the temple several years ago, I wish to write about it someday. Keep writing and keep notifying me when any new posts come in here. It's always a treat- your writing style, appropriate selection of emotive and meaning words and the artful composition of plots, scenes and events. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete