Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Slice of Life, COVID Times - #001

Sid Padhi


Sorry, didn't call back.

Mom's fridge developed a fever in the lower compartment, yesterday.  I had made a provisional diagnosis of ice in the windpipes and left it off the electric supply to self repair. But, she put it back on and the problem persisted.

Post lunch, we had a masked technician from Reeta's hospital (he has a pass) to have a look. That's why I forgot to call back.

Story continues:

Guy starts pulling apart the innards and I can see he's on the wrong track. He talks about replacing this and that. I say, ice-chamber works, chiller tray downward doesn't - isn't it a case of ice in the 'windpipes'?

He says, "maybe". I suggest pouring in some hot water and he disagrees. Says it could fry the electronics. Made sense to me.

Since there was nothing else he could do, I pack him off with two hundred bucks. He's happy to vamoose; but the fridge remains, status quo.

Then I apply some Dhenkanalia buddhi. If it's about de-congesting the pipes of ice how about hot air?

Got myself a hair dryer. Half an hour of blowing hot air into the vents; and the machine is now a cool dude, right down to the vegetable tray at the bottom.

Proper diagnosis is important, improvisation helps.

5 comments:

  1. All ye who read this.

    If you think, "Is that it?", I say, "That's it"!

    That's all it takes to punish here. In fact, I was told by our Editor-in- Chief that brevity gets more marks than lengthy discourses.

    So, ye who were eager to write but didn't have the 'requisite length', do not despair. Write, just write.

    Also, the third R -tRail- is very important. Leave that to me for your second R - wRite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing can beat pen and paper. When the text self-corrects on the wisdom of some built-in e-genie, I don't even have the satisfaction of committing my own mistakes!

    Publish became Punish because the Autocorrecting e-genie thought so.

    And, when I hit the Send button again, I can only HOPE to see what I intended to type.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's upasthita buddhi.
    On second thoughts you would have made a great engineer too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good medico, good wordsmith, good dog whisperer, and good engineer..

      Delete
  4. Sid.. I liked this a lot. The need is not necessarily for brevity, but the ability to differentiate between what needs the length and what harks back to PN Mishra Sir's diktats on Precis Writing.
    Keep writing... sanity in these times is as important as sanitizing.

    ReplyDelete