Monday, February 2, 2015

Those years in School shaped and redefined my personality and career - Gautam H. Mahapatra

My memories of D.M. School start from the Asbestos classrooms where we spent one year as Std V students. I remember the way KASSVK Rao used to punish us when we guys couldn’t answer a maths question correctly. Our Headmaster, Late Kishore Chandra Das, never ending stories on his stint in the Army, Hanan Sir’s constant encouragement and making many of us believe that we could be champion sports persons. P.N. Mishra’s English classes, the SUPW classes which were more of a break... than anything else. The teachers whether it was P.N.Panda or B B Nayak or N. Mishra or Sandhya Mohanty or anyone else they were all awe-inspiring.

I remember my good friend Subasis who used to share the first row with me. Debasis Panigrahi for teaching us constantly new monologues in odia and some memorable poems in odia which may be a little embarrassing to pen down. I remember Tridib’s constant smile and confidence, Rajesh Chintak’s suaveness even at that age, Rajesh Srivastav’s & Minakshi Mishra’s high scoring answer-sheets, Som Patnaik’s explanation of adiabatic cooling-as nothing but something very interesting-and Madam Anjali Tripathi’s expression to that answer, Sipra’s enthusiasm, Biswajita’s attitude, K. Shailaja’s athleticism, Mriganka’s intelligence, Amiya Ray’s passion for cricket, Neeta’s quest for excellence, Pusphamitra Das stories, Rupak Roy Choudhury’s conquests, Debjeet Kar’s innocence, Pradeep Sahu’s knowledge on sports, Sankalpa Basu’s perseverance and many of our other batch mates who have left some wonderful memories which I shall cherish for years to come. I was lucky and privileged to be among the most intelligent & smart group in the School. The karamanga trees, the teachers common room in the 1st floor, the Library where I went the least because I was too scared to read all those fat & huge books have given me wonderful memories.


These years in School shaped and redefined my personality and career. I wish I could re-live my good old days in School again & again.

No comments:

Post a Comment