Saturday, February 21, 2015

TAMSA IN DMSLAND




Amidst the hazy memories of my entire school days some moments are of absolute clarion. The vivid memories of my first visit to the DMS. My first ever interview. Dressed in a white frock I entered the office of Mrs. J Sen, Headmistress of the primary wing, with my Bubu (father) very casually and greeted with a warm smile.  After the formal introduction and reciting few nursery rhymes I was asked to arrange different size of pink blocks in descending order to make a pyramid. I went on perfectly well till I reached the final stage. Instead of putting the smallest one on the top I placed it in the second (from the top) and was about to place on the slightly bigger one above it . Mrs Sen interrupted me and said, “Don’t you think the smallest one should be on the top, or else it will fall’’. But I was defiant and replied her “No it will not” and did it in ‘my way’. Lo and behold! It didn’t fall down!! She was very impressed and took me in her arms. She said to my Pa, “Mr Mohapatra, your daughter is a very confident and determined child.”

The tide of time eroded my confidence up to some extent in the later years.

The experiences of K.G Class are sweet. Miss Padmini was our class teacher.  Playing  with friends... Ringa Ringa Roses, Fire in the mountain, Lock and key, Dog and the Bone, Hide and Seek, Rumal Chori with song ‘ I sent a letter to my father on the way I dropped it ..A postman came and picked it up and put it in his pocket..’ was full of fun and joy .The innocent nuances of Ananya Dev who used to eat our tiffins!! Rita, Sujit Ganguly, Sujit Mukherji, Smarajit kanungo, Biswaranjan, Femina…and many more who continued in DMS but Femina left the school in midway. But many new friends joined later. Ultimately we had three sections from class V onwards.

I won my first fancy dress competition, dressed as a bride, in KG . After that the senior girls would  pamper me and pull my cheeks :)
How can I ever forget our adorable Ayah who is no more. May her soul be ever blessed.

Yearning for those carefree days and wonderful peers.

In the primary classes, school seemed like a home away from home. The affectionate  Mrs. Dipti Dutta, stern but a fabulous Maths teacher Miss Leela with a cane bag and of course the magic of the Majestic (late)Miss Benson engulfed everybody. She said to my Pa that I talk too much in the class and would indulge with long convos with my Pa :)
As I grew up my favourite place was our school Library which had a huge collection of variety of classy books. I read all the 14 volumes of Krishnavatara by K M Munshi. But my fav were those of Enid Blyton’s series of The Famous Five, Amelia Jane and Mr Twiddle.

The SUPW classes were interesting and at times boring. Made a vegetable cutter and egg whipper in the Metal class. In the Home Science class we were trained in stiching, knitting and some easy cookings. I learned to make sandwiches in a hand toaster but never allowed by my mother to try at home. Truly multipurpose! Hated the HPER classes but have the highest regards for Hanan Sir, one of the finest man I have ever come across.



Lost touch with my friends for decades but much delighted to be connected through the social media. Minakshi, Sipra, Minati, Chinmayee, Biswajita,  Neeta, Sasmita, Kaumudee ..you all are darlings :)
The ever enthusiastic and exuberant boys of DMS'83 are awesome :)


Wrapping it up with a few lines –

“Many a times the musical waves of my heart

 Sank into the Sea of Silence

 When melancholy weaves my memory loom

 Hoping for crimson roses to bloom”



Cheers and Best wishes to all my dear friends :)



3 comments:

  1. Fabulous recounted Tamsa, just as I'd expect of you :) Very sweet DMS primary school remembrances, that is unique to only a handful of us in this group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unique piece in the sense that most of us joined in Class V. No one has talked of the DMS kG experience simply because we were not around to experience that.

    I hope you still build your pyramids as inverted structures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet another wonderful memory. How do you remember so clearly from the primary classes? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete