Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Durga Puja and Dussehra Memoirs

 Take 2 - Sankalpa Basu


Durgapuja was the most special time of the year for me. Maa used to cook many delicacies, there were new clothes, no school and no homework, it was the simply the best time of the year. Amongst all these memories one stands out. Durgapuja was the only time I was allowed to stay out past midnight. It made me feel free. My best friend Munna and me made sure that our bicycles were in good repair and wait until dinner was over.

It was quite a ritual, we used to go out every night but one when we went to see a movie with the family. The rest were devoted towards exploring the various pujas of Bhubaneswar and outskirts. Our forays didn't have a pattern, we stayed in one pandal if we wanted to or ride between many if that's what we felt like on that night.

Our favourites were the pujas at Railway Station, AG colony, Airport and Banadurga. There was also the pleasure of going the various sahi pujas of Old-town. In those days, hopefully it hasn't changed much, the old town idols were mostly of Lord Shiva and Maa Parvati. These pujas became less busy after midnight, it was the best time to be see those pujas. Maa used to look the same every year. It was divine, literally to commune with her in the quiet hours of the night.

Watching a open air movie was one of the many perks of the pujas. We liked to watch the shows in the Aerodrome puja. It was late and cold by the time the movie ended. And the aerodrome road became rather deserted. My most favourite moments were of riding fast in the same route as our school bus went. We used to race against each other, laughing and without a care in the World. Our bikes made a satisfying whirr when we freewheeled, and the cool air hit my warm face and coursed through my hair. I felt more alive than I ever have. Then we went to see the old town pujas before returning home. We often stayed a bit, Maa in her resplendence watched the two lads as they looked at their protectress. And I used to think she was smiling at us.


4 comments:

  1. Sankalpa... I can see you careening down our school bus route, the wind in your hair, I can see your smile...

    Those were the days my friend,
    We thought they'd never end...."

    You should write more often.. And more for the blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A heartwarming recount! The divine connection at such a young age is distinctive.

    ReplyDelete