Sunday, October 25, 2020

Durga Puja and Dussehra Memoirs

 Take 13 - Siddhartha Sahu


Durga Puja was always a Cuttack thing and I was, and still am, not a big fan of crowds. I have a vague recollection of pandal hopping once, ages back, in Cuttack with unidentified relatives in rickshaws. Neither the glitzy decorations nor the never changing features and pose of the Goddess from pandal to pandal interested me then. I have given pandals a miss ever since. I think the themes became more creative later with showcasing of current topics (like one shared recently with Xi as the demon!). But usually I find the execution amateurish and too much in the face. Personally, I prefer the permanence of a temple than an ephemeral pandal for my obeisance. I know I will get quite a few kicks in the butt from many of my friends but that's my honest take on this.

Welcome any damning comments you may have…


3 comments:

  1. Well written. True feeling. Only happens with friends...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Siddhhu! Siddhu! Finally - we have you on the blog!! Like you I have never been a big (or any size) fan of crowds. But I enjoy watching people, and it is quite the challenge to observe the units making up a crowd by not being one.I also think the 'new' murtis are more creative, but I wishe they'd tone down the jazz and snazz (if there's such a word).

    Looking forward to more from you, blasphemous, or not :) :)

    ReplyDelete