Sunday, October 25, 2020

Durga Puja and Dussehra Memoirs

 Take 14 - Sid Padhi


The closest I came to an exciting memory in the context of Durga Puja was one, I think, from Std VIII days, when along with my cousin, I had a free run of the Grand Carnival of Cuttack – Bhasani. I say free run because my childhood had been a sheltered one, to say the least. I had to abide by timings and going out without informing and a definite objective was not the accepted norm. Hence, exposure to Puja fanfare was strictly from the confines of direct observable range of chaperones (generic for any accompanying elder). And, therefore, no adventures.  So, my cousins and I saw what our elders showed us.

Bhasani was all about whose Medha was the best and who put on the best show. There were friction points, of course. Rival pandals vying for popularity, which meant a mention in the papers the next day. Those were the days when people had integrity.

The second there was the route issue - which Medha would precede whom - for everyone who knows Cuttack know that there are no further 'avenues to explore'.

Thirdly, there was a communal angle. As the Medhas passed through certain Muslim zones, there would be a few miscreants (from either side) who would try to instigate a fight. When I look back on those times, I see how much society and societal thought has changed. Those miscreants would be caught and banged up by both sides and the show would literally go on. No huge flare-up like today. Reporters didn't care squat about those goons.

So, coming to me and my experience. Despite the free run, nothing happened. I mean, nothing of substance. The Grand Carnival appeared at its best yet. They had some new kind of lights that blinked better than the previous year. The dance steps were definitely the latest. I had a generous supply of roasted peanuts and was strategically located on a tall, broad wall overlooking the whole shebang - a ringside view.

But nothing happened. That year probably was the only year when all friction points were lubricated and the was also the only year I had the freedom to watch it from so close.

I went to bed very happy that night. I'd had my lifetime's fill from the buffet that evening had offered and it was all because ‘nothing happened' that evening.


4 comments:

  1. The letter is missing but the spirit is there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Durga puja should transcend faith and good to know it did in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are, though, the wordy master of nothing ;) You conjure up images out of the nothingness you witness or partake. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete