Monday, October 26, 2020

Durga Puja and Dussehra Memoirs

 Take 15 - Subhashis Panda


This was a little before I would be completing eight months into marriage. It was decided (no marks for guessing, who decided) that our first Bijoya Dashami would be a visit to all my in-laws followed by pandal hopping, finally ending with watching the Rabana Podi at Saheed Nagar. Much that I hate driving in heavy traffic; I went about the whole routine without a single retort. Paan in the mouth really helps sometimes.

When we reached Saheed Nagar, I parked the car in a bylane, and we walked hand in hand up to the pandal. I packed a couple of paans in my mouth as we weaved our way through the jam-packed crowd. After the customary darshan, as we were wading out to a distant location for a clear view of the Rabana Podi, I felt the urge to spit out the paan juice, which was overwhelming me. As we were bustling out, I suddenly saw an empty space and I spat. A hand came out from nowhere and my spit landed on the back of his hand. I whisked out my handkerchief and placed it on the back of his hand.

The next moment we had melted in the crowd.


5 comments:

  1. Subhashis! My first reaction to this memory of yours was - "Yewww!" But on second thoughts, you were lucky to escape with just the loss of a handkerchief!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still wonder at times... what all could have happened...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can’t help feeling amused about what other reactions could have occurred!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was the chance of Mahabharata war at the time of Ravanapodi. You need a warning sigh.

    ReplyDelete